Prep & Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Outside the Metabolic Window
600g ground / minced lean pork
canola oil cooking spray
1 garlic clove, minced
4 green spring onions, ﬁnely sliced
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1 lemongrass sleeved / stalk, finely chopped, minced (approx. 2 tbls )
1 small red or green chilli, deseeded, finely chopped or 1 tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
¾ cup ‘salt-reduced’ liquid chicken stock
2 tbls ﬁsh sauce
3 tbls freshly squeezed lime juice
½ tsp freshly grated ginger
2 tbls brown sugar
½ cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
Stewed Apple Slices –
2 large apples, cored, peeled (optional) and cut into slices
1 tbls brown sugar or honey / maple syrup
1 tbls of water
½ tsp of ground cinnamon
garnish with fresh mint leaves
a combination of fresh greens - mixed lettuce leaves, cucumber slices, green beans, capsicum etc
Chillies hold a lot of heat, mostly in the seeds and membrane. See my tip in our Community Group on my easy way to enjoy the lovely flavour of chilli without feeling the burn!
1. Prep Apple Slices - Heat a small saucepan over a medium heat. Place apple slices into the saucepan together with the sugar and water. Stir to combine, then cover and cook for 4-5 minutes until the apple slices have slightly softened but can still hold their shape. When done, transfer slices to a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. Prep / Mincing Lemongrass Stalks - Using a sharp knife, first cut off the lower bulb and remove the tough, outer leaves. The main stalk (the yellow section) is what is commonly used in Thai cooking.
Cut the yellow section of stalk into thin slices and place these in a food processor/or Magic Bullet. Process well. Alternately, you can pound the slices of lemongrass with a pestle & mortar until softened and fragrant.
2. Spray a non-stick frying pan or electric frying pan with oil and heat on medium-high heat. Add garlic, spring onions, red onion, minced lemongrass, and chili; stir-fry until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Next add pork and ginger. Stir-fry for about 7-8 minutes, until cooked through. Stir frequently.
3. In a small mixing jug combine chicken stock, ﬁsh sauce, lime juice and sugar. Pour over pork mixture. Top with freshly chopped coriander and parsley. Mix through. Continue cooking for 5-6 minutes.
4. When done, remove from heat, stir through stewed apple slices. Plate up, garnish with fresh mint sprigs and serve with a selection of fresh green vegetables. Drizzle with flax oil and serve.
Nutrition Information: (per serve)
Cals: 175.7 kJ’s: 737.9 Protein: 23.6g Carbs: 11.1g Fat: 4.1g
- If fresh lemongrass is unavailable, you can substitute with 1 tbls of minced lemongrass paste. Found in the fresh produce section of most supermarkets.
- Portion into take-away containers and freeze. Can be frozen up to 2 months.
- Delicious Detox
- Naughty But Nice Christmas Slice
- Time to Celebrate – by taking care of yourself
- Fragrant Thai Pork with Stewed Apple
- Better Than Carrot Cake
- Hawaiian Tuna Melts
- A Story about A Dog & Why I Love to Cook
- In the kitchen - LIVE Cooking with Shar
- It's a long way to the shop if you wanna a Sausage Roll!
- Live Cooking - Comfort Food made healthy
- January 2021 (1)
- November 2020 (2)
- October 2020 (2)
- September 2020 (1)
- August 2020 (2)
- July 2020 (1)
- June 2020 (3)
- May 2020 (2)
- April 2020 (5)
- March 2020 (3)
- February 2020 (2)
- January 2020 (1)
- December 2019 (11)
- November 2019 (3)
- October 2019 (2)
- July 2019 (1)
- May 2019 (1)
- March 2019 (2)
- February 2019 (3)
- January 2019 (2)
- December 2018 (2)
- October 2018 (2)
- September 2018 (2)
- July 2018 (1)
- June 2018 (2)
- April 2018 (1)
- November 2017 (1)
- August 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (1)
- March 2017 (3)
- February 2017 (2)
- December 2016 (2)
- November 2016 (1)
- October 2016 (3)
- September 2016 (2)
- August 2016 (3)